Friday, November 19, 2010

question

responding to a post by Crazyace01 in a previous post got me thinking about something; what causes this ignorance that is seen in musical opinion in the masses these days? Why will someone try to hammer their opinion about a certain act/band/composer/artist or piece/work they like into someone else's head, and yet vehemently oppose that same person's opinions if they don't think as highly of the artist or piece as person 1, instead of appreciating person 2's opinion and possibly having an intelligent and worthwhile conversation on their musical tastes? e.g. Why do some metalheads praise the ground that bands like Cannibal Corpse, Meshuggah, Metallica, Candlemass, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest (just to name a few) and yet consider the music of genres such as rap, pop, techno, and classical music as complete garbage? Do these people (not just metal heads, everyone who displays this practice of "musical elitism") receive some inflated sense of self worth, thinking that their opinion has a milligram of significance, or are they just unaware of the fact that all of these artists contribute to the collective whole of music? What I understand about music is the existence of opinion-it exists everywhere; hell, even I have my own opinions about music, in some cases to extremes; what I don't understand about music is why there is so much ignorance when it comes to musical opinion. Your thoughts on this?

1 comment:

  1. My tastes will always be much more superior in my eyes than your tastes. I think music is simply more common AND can easily invade peoples personal space. It's hard to STOP hearing unless you have headphones... ya know? Please have different taste in art, but as long as you keep your art to yourself- it's all fine and dandy.

    I know that's why I get upset when someone plays music in the office I don't care for- it's just magnified since it's hard to tune out and I feel as though I'm forced to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete